Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fashion Rules for Runners


  





Today I went for a run wearing my wife beater shirt (I don't like t-shirt tans). I am still learning the rules of running fashion. Here is what I know so far:

  1. If you are older than 21 years, wear a shirt.
  2. If you wear $7 Walmart track pants while running in the winter you will get condescending looks from other runners who are wearing $300 running outfits.
  3. The guy at the running store said he wouldn't be caught dead wearing orange or lime green running shoes.
  4. I went shopping for running shorts and noticed they are all really long. They go down to just above the knee cap.  (my nickname this summer will probably be "white thigh")
  5. Really short running shorts that are made of shiny satin like material and slit up the side to reveal your ass as you run in the wind are not cool. If fact they are kind of creepy.
  I know that rule #1 is a hard one. The idea of working on your tan and running at the same time is really tempting but its just too obnoxious. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule. If you are in super good shape, maybe you can do this, the younger you are the more likely you can pull it off.   You can also get away with running along the beach with no shirt. You don't even have to be in shape. 

  Women get special treatment when it comes to running fashion. Rule numbers 1 and 5 don't apply to them at all. I have noticed many women running with just a sports bra and short shiny material shorts. This is not only acceptable but in my mind encouraged. 

  The wife beater shirt may be a violation but that is a chance I am going to take to avoid a t-shirt tan. My understanding of running fashion is a 'work in progress'.  Wish me luck.

No comments: